Academic and Career Technical Dual Enrollment Program
View the PowerPoint from the Dual Enrollment Information Session Summer 2022.
Please remember to speak with your School Counselor regarding Dual Enrollment Opportunities.
With Dual Enrollment students earn high school and college credit for academic or career technical education courses. Credits earned are then applied toward a high school diploma and/or a postsecondary degree.
To participate in the Dual Enrollment program, students must be in grades 10-12 and maintain a 2.5 GPA.
Steps for Enrollment
- Meet with High School Counselor
- Complete applicable HCS and/or college forms
- Visit the college of choice Dual Enrollment website to complete the appropriate dual enrollment application and all necessary forms.
- Contact the college’s Dual Enrollment Advisor schedule an advising meeting.
Students may only take one academic dual enrollment course per each academic term and must meet eligibility requirements. Two courses must be Superintendent approved.
Eligible courses can be taken through an Alabama Community College System (ACCS) institution
***Important*** Students participating in Dual Enrollment must successfully complete college courses to continue each semester. Students who do not successfully complete a college course will be required to not participate for one semester.
- Dual Enrollment
When a student is enrolled in high school and college courses and can earn high school and college credit simultaneously.
- Dual Credit
When a student is enrolled in high school and participating in designated courses that Huntsville City Schools and the Community College has agreed upon that can be used as substitutions to high school courses. Students will need to speak with his or her Counselor to see approved courses.
- Career Technical Dual Enrollment
There is no limit on CTE Dual Enrollment courses. Students must meet eligibility requirements and have Counselor and Principal approval. Students may participate after successful completion of his or her 9th grade year.
- Early College/Early Start
The courses in this program are taken for college credit only.
Participants must meet all requirements of the college of interest
- Cost and Due Dates:
- Students participating in Academic Dual Enrollment/Dual Credit and Early College/Early Start courses must contact the post-secondary institution to determine costs, fees, materials, and deadlines for tuition payment.
- Students participating in Career Technical Dual Enrollment course fees, materials, and tuition are covered by a state sponsored grant provided by the post-secondary institution.
- Addional Dual Enrollment Information
- Huntsville City Schools forms to be completed each semester: Please retrieve documents from your High School Counselor.
- J. F. Drake State Community and Technical College Dual Enrollment
- Calhoun Community College Dual Enrollment
- The University of Alabama in Huntsville Dual Enrollment Information
- The University of Alabama Early College Program
Dual Enrollment application dates will be announced by your local high school. See your High School Counselor for more information about these programs. You may also contact Leah Edgecombe by phone (256) 428-6987 or email at Leah.Edgecombe@hsv-k12.org.